Dear PS 169 Parents/Guardians,
I am honored to be writing this letter to you as the new interim acting Principal at PS 169. I have spent the last six years as an Assistant Principal in this remarkable community, and I am so excited to be able to step into the role of principal for the 2021-22 school year.
Students are set to return to school on Monday, September 13th, and we are busily working to make PS 169 a safe and secure environment, where your children’s health, emotional well-being, and academic progress are our biggest priorities. We will be sending out more details about arrival, dismissal, and class assignments in the coming days.
While we know that many of you are feeling nervous about the return to school, we strongly believe in the importance of children being in school, in person. I will be hosting a Town Hall on Thursday, September 9th, at 1:30pm on Zoom to review all of the safety measures and other procedures we will have in place this school year. Please use this link to join the Town Hall at that time. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in Spanish and Mandarin, and the meeting will be recorded and shared for families who are unable to attend.
In the meantime, please be aware that these measures will be in place from the first day of school:
- Students and staff will complete daily health screenings before entering the building.
- Students and staff will be required to wear masks at all times.
- We will maintain 3 feet of physical distancing at all times while in the school building, including in the cafeteria. We have prioritized small class size to make this physical distancing possible.
- Every classroom will have two HEPA-grade air purifiers.
- Our building’s ventilation system has been fully upgraded, per CDC guidance; the ventilation system is also outfitted with MERV 13 filters, as are our classroom air conditioners.
- Windows will remain open throughout the day to increase air flow.
- High touch surfaces will be disinfected throughout the day; the entire building will be thoroughly cleaned every night.
- All staff are required to be vaccinated (first dose by 9/27; second dose a maximum of 45 days later).
- 10% of the school will be randomly tested every two weeks by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH).
- There will be clear quarantine protocols when a positive case of COVID-19 is identified. (I will review these at the Town Hall on September 9th)
Please make every effort to attend the Town Hall on September 9th where I will review all procedures in greater detail. I will also answer any questions that you may have at that time.
While there continues to be a lot of uncertainty about COVID-19, I am confident that we can keep our community safe, just as we did last year. We are so excited to welcome your children back to the school building this year! If you have questions about health and safety prior to the Town Hall, please reach out to our Family Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.