Sunset Park SchoolIssue 19Dec 2017
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
It’s hard to believe it’s already December! The winter holidays are right around the corner, which is such a special time in our school community. One of my favorite things about PS 169 — Sunset Park School is our tremendous diversity. We are looking forward to sharing in your traditions this holiday season and celebrating together.
Here are a few ways you and your children can join in our celebrations at school:
- On Wednesday, December 20th, starting at 12 pm, we will have a Winter Potluck with all of our Kindergarten families. We expect a special visit from Felix Ortiz, our local assemblyman. He’ll be dressed as Santa Claus and will bring small gifts to all of our Kindergarteners. We hope our Kindergarten parents can join us for this special event!
- Also on Wednesday, December 20th at 6 pm in the SPS Auditorium, join our 4th graders in a special performance of their work with the incredible National Dance Institute. You don’t need to be a 4th grade parent to attend — please join us!
- On Friday, December 22nd, the School Spirit Committee will once again sponsor Pajama Day! Students should come to school dressed in their favorite pajamas and can expect a cozy day of learning and fun right before winter vacation.
As you may know, school will be closed from Monday, December 25th through Monday, January 1st for the winter holidays. Students will return to school on Tuesday, January 2nd. A week off from school can present many challenges for working families, but it can also give you some unstructured time with your children, as well as provide some non-traditional learning opportunities! We are lucky to live in a city that has many free events for families, especially around the holidays, some of which we’ve listed below. Many take place near Sunset Park, but some are in Manhattan, which is a short subway ride away.
Our public libraries are a fantastic resource, hosting free events for community members all the time! Unfortunately, the library closest to our school, the Sunset Park Library, is undergoing construction. There is a temporary library at 4201 Fourth Avenue, which will continue to offer special events and programs to the community during construction. For example:
- Tuesday, 12/26, 3:30-4:30 pm: Build with Lego and Duplo (for kids up to age 12)
- Thursday, 12/28, 4-5 pm: Chess (for children and teenagers)
You can also visit the Borough Park branch of the Brooklyn Public Library, located at 1265 43rd Street at 13th Avenue. Some special events they have over the holiday break include:
- Tuesday, 12/26, 3-4 pm: Build with Lego and Duplo (for kids up to age 12)
- Wednesday, 12/27, 4-5 pm: Explore & Create Arts & Crafts (ages 5-12)
- Friday, 12/29, 1-3pm: Family Movies
The beautiful Brooklyn Botanic Garden offers free admission Tuesdays through Fridays. They are open 10 am to 4:30 pm and are located at 900 Washington Avenue. For directions, go to Brooklyn Botanic Garden website.
In Manhattan, check out the New York Transit Museum’s free holiday train show at Grand Central Terminal in the museum’s Grand Central Annex Gallery. Open Tuesday, 12/26-Friday, 12/29 from 8 am to 8 pm, 87 East 42nd Street in Manhattan.
All of these activities will be wonderful learning experiences for your children! You can also keep them engaged in more “traditional” learning by making sure they read books of their choosing every day and have them practice math concepts. Children can read using Raz-Kids or myON — ask your children if their teacher has created an account for them on either site. For engaging math practice, check out these apps and online games:
Most of all, enjoy this celebratory time with your children!
With best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year,